Teacher Effectiveness Challenge Chart
In one page, here are a number of habits that will increase your teaching productivity and resilience.
Link to Challenge Chart (PDF)
1. MEDITATE – For 11 minutes (11 minutes gives you 90% of the benefits of longer sessions) meditate, focusing on your breathe. Scientifically verified benefits of meditation include: increased happiness, decreased anxiety and stress, increased ability to regulate emotions, improved grey matter, increased focus and memory, and improved ability to multitask.1
2. SLEEP HYGIENE – 1) Track your sleep with a sleep app (like Sleep Cycle); 2) Go to bed at the same time (+/- 20 minutes); 3) Turn off electronics 30 minutes before bedtime; 4) think of 10 things you are grateful for; 5) follow prescribed amount of sleep: Younger adults (18-25): Sleep range is 7-9 hours; Adults (26-64): Sleep range 7-9 hours. Older adults (65+): Sleep range is 7-8 hours.”
3. EXERCISE – The Mayo Clinic recommends 30 minutes of moderate exercise a day: elliptical, walking, swimming, mowing. Benefits include reduction of anxiety, enhanced mood, improved sleep, and increased energy and stamina.
4. FOOD – Use My Fitness Pal (free app) to plan healthy meals. Benefits includes as much as 66% more productivity, increased focus, and stress reduction.
5. STATE CHANGE – Hack your brain to stop thinking negatively 2x a day by 1) saying “Stop” and standing up; 2) taking a big breath and shaking your arms; 3) focusing on an extremely successful moment in your life; 4) praising yourself with a closed fist and saying “yes.”
6. 3+1 GOALS – Before you go to bed, write down at least 3 specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, and timely goals (SMART GOALS) for the next day and include 1 emotional goal. Benefits: motivation, creativity, enhanced self-regulation and self-efficacy.